Monday, December 1, 2008

Caribou Barbie Sighting!



After a fun and exciting trip to Utah for Thanksgiving (including much shopping and chatting, but unfortunately, few pictures), Richard and I set out for the airport on Sunday morning. I was secretly (ok, not so secretly) excited for this plane ride because we were upgraded to first class since we bought our tickets under Richard's dad's account who is a gold... platinum?... member of Delta.

As we were sitting down, I heard the unmistakable sound of "You betcha" coming from behind me. My ears perked and I twirled around. It's Tina Fey! TINA FEY IS SITTI---no, wait. IT'S SARAH PALIN!

I had to immediately confirm with Richard to make sure I wasn't being fooled by a look-alike. But he also confirmed that it was, in fact, Mrs. Governor herself. I immediately decided that I would talk to her while deboarding, so I spent the next 3 hours trying to figure out exactly what to say. I still remember the time I saw Bronco waiting for an elevator by himself at the Cougareat and didn't say anything to him. Regret fills my heart to this day, and I wasn't going to miss out on another opportunity!

But, here's the problem: I don't especially like Sarah Palin. I voted for Obama, and in all honestly, I have made fun of her on several occasions. Can I call you Joe? Shout out to my third-graders! etc.

In the end, I decided to hold my breath and not talk to her. Although, I should note that my decision didn't stop me from looking back to her seat to examine her adorable outfit and watch her drool a little on her travel pillow as she slept. Richard would like me to add here that I embarrassed him by "talking loudly" (I was whispering) and "staring" (a quick peek here and there).
Unfortunately for her, the guy sitting behind me decided he WOULD talk to her. Approximately 3 seconds after she woke up, he began quizzing her on... state fairs. Yes, state fairs. Which one was her favorite? Had she ever been to the Utah State Fair? What was her favorite snack at fairs? I mean, really. Clearly, she was one of his heroes and he had one chance to talk to her about international politics, education reform or homeland security. And he chose state fairs as the topic of conversation.

It was obvious that she didn't want to talk to this guy, but he really couldn't take a hint. It was good for us, though, because she was distracted enough by this idiotic conversation so that Richard could snap this photo.
Three cheers for first class!


3 comments:

Bethany said...

Um, wow. Double wow. That is amazing. I guess that was the surprise you were going to tell me... ?

Brenda said...

Sarah's sportin' some swell new glasses. You could probably make some bucks writing up an article with the picture:) Love, Aunty B~

jennybhill said...

That is so funny. I think the expression on her face is just what I'd imagine for the conversation you describe that she's having with that man.