Wednesday, October 22, 2008

You can take the Bylund out of Omaha...

...But you can't take the chintzy and tight out of the Bylund!

No. seriously.

Over the past few months, I think I have gone to 3 seminars on how to "scrimp and save" during these lovely law school years (once at my ward, once at a work meeting, and once at a Law School Wives Association event). So, I have decided to really take it to heart. And I found out that it is actually a lot of fun to try to spend as little money as possible -- it's like a game! Plus, it makes me feel like I am fighting back against consumerism!


First of all, I learned how to cut coupons "appropriately" -- when to use them, where to use them, and which ones you should use. I have high hopes that our grocery bill can be under $100 a month! (I'll do an update next month.) I've also learned the wonders of Extra Care Bucks from CVS (Walgreens has a similar program). Some good blogs that help teach me tricks and motivate me are here, here, here and here. Check them out.


As far as entertainment goes, pretty much "dinner and a movie" is out for us. Ever. Instead, we play tennis a lot at a court down the street, go on walks and pick up free movies from RedBox. (RedBox sends out free rental codes via e-mail or text every Monday! You can sign up here.)


So basically, this is my new hobby. And it sure beats my old hobby (spending loads of money in Europe). Also, I have to have a new passion, since we all know what happened to BYU Football...

6 comments:

Bethany said...

Yay you! I am thoroughly inspired! I spend way too much money. Maybe I can get a private seminar from you...

Katie said...

I have a feeling I'm going to drive myself crazy trying to save all this money! But I can't wait to try! Thanks for the tips!

jennybhill said...

I had a professor at BYU whose fiance was in law school. She said she saw too many law students who "lived like a lawyer as a student" and that they'd end up "living like a student as a lawyer." Good for you to not go down that road! I'll be impressed if you reach your $100 food budget goal!!

Opa said...

Train up a child in the way she should go: and when she is old, she will not depart from it.

(Proverbs 22:6)

Carma said...

so that's what happened to the economy!!! This explains everything.

Opa said...

Great observation, Carma. It may not explain everything, but it explains a lot.