Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Washington: The Mecca of Metropolitan Transit


...well, that may be going a little overboard, but seriously, the Washington DC Metrorail just may be the best system out there! Can I get an "aaaaa-men"?

Sure I've had my fair share of delays, rush-hour squishedness, and pacing back and forth waiting for a train to come, but that is most certainly to be occasionally expected of any big-city system. Coming from New York City, which may possible be the worst/dirtiest metro known to man, my spirit leaps for joy every time I walk into one of the DC stations.

I have, naturally, developed a Top 5 for why the Metrorail will forever have a special place in my heart:

(5) SmartTrip cards are plastic and can be read from inside your purse (or wallet, for those men out there), so you don't have to spend time fishing for that pesky paper card in front of the entrance.

(4) I get cell phone coverage while I am riding on the Metro. Apparently, Verizon (my provider) has a contract with them, so they have phone lines lining the cars/stations. (I recently learned this, after assuming for months that I would not have phone coverage.)

(3) They have electronic boards which list how long until next train comes. No more staring down the platform, wondering when you will see the light at the end of the tunnel (both proverbially and literally).

(2) The stations are clean, well-maintained and air-conditioned. 'Nough said.

(1) The huge, vaulted ceilings eliminates all claustrophobia you may have about the fact that you are hundreds of feet underground.

Also, yes this is a covert PR ploy to get friends and family to visit me in Washington DC. You know you want to ride this glorious system!!

9 comments:

Richard Peterson said...

AAAMEN

Michelle said...

I was in DC about 9 years ago and I too was impressed with how clean the metro was, also in comparison with NY since I had recently gotten off my mission. Another great metro (at least, used to be) was Moscow. They even had chandeliers - a great source of civic pride.

esmiley said...

Carma and I will need to come experience this first hand to see if it DC or Madrid would be better...both of us LOVE the Metro in Spain. But I don't think all the lines had air conditioning, so it sounds like DC might win out.

Bethany said...

I was going to aaaa-men, too, but Richie beat me to it. In any case, I completely agree! Riding the subway in New York has always been a terrible experience for me. DC Metro is the bomb. Though I agree with your sister about the Moscow metro, which is also que fabuloso.

Carma said...

AAAAAMMMMEEEENNNNN

I hate the NYC subway system. HATE it. HATE HATE HATE it.

And I experience it every day.

I am so jealous of you and your clean and user-friendly system. I like that one soo much better. But I do have to agree with emily that the Madrid Metro rocked also...I think I might prefer DC, but only because I can't speak Spanish and so I didn't understand what was being said in Madrid!

Opa said...

Amen. The DC metro is great. The BART isn't bad either - particularly compared to NYC.

Mom said...

I agree. Good PR work! They should pay you.

jennybhill said...

It does sound like a fabulous system, but doesn't it seem to be missing that key ingredient?? You know, that kind, caring British voice urging you to mind the gap and reminding you that public transit is a caring entity too?

Bethany said...

a happy happy birthday to you from me