Monday, September 15, 2008

BYU Football (Part II)

So, after discussing the best ways for me to avoid heart attacks during BYU Football games (see below post), Richard and I came up with a plan that would involve putting off all our laundry until the last possible moment, and then me folding/putting away pretty much everything we own while watching the game.

I highly recommend this tactic. Richard loves it because -- let's face it -- he doesn't have to help with the laundry (and he doesn't have to feel guilty about not helping with the laundry), and I feel both somewhat distracted and productive during the game. The only problem was that I still didn't have enough clothes to last me the whole game. (Richard had to force me away from the darks until after halftime was over.) After pondering this problem economics-style, I was thinking of starting a side business, "Game Day Laundry," where (for a small fee) I will fold all your laundry every Saturday! A disclaimer is that if I don't get to your laundry during the BYU game, I probably won't do it. But the upside is that I will be offering a Friends & Family Discount.

So now on to the good stuff -- the UCLA game. As Carma so eloquently put it, this was no nail-biter game!! BYU totally and completely dominated UCLA (59 to 0!!). There was MUCH jubilation in our apartment as UCLA continued to fumble and we continued to block kicks and score touchdown after touchdown. UCLA was understandably not as thrilled as us. See below for a picture of their coach late in the fourth quarter, when they realized how bad this really was. (I almost felt sorry for him.)
Here are a couple of interesting statistics about the game (this is for you Greg, as Carma told me what your original prediction of the game was... grr):

*Max Hall (the QB) entered record books when tied the BYU record for passing touchdowns in a game

*UCLA suffered its worst defeat since 1929 when they lost to USC


It's a beautiful thing! Now, we are ranked #14 on the AP Poll and #11 on the USA Today poll (so close to the Top 10!) and will undoubtedly keep climbing our way up the charts. And I will be there to cheer them on... as long as I don't run out of laundry :)


6 comments:

Anna Hargis said...

That's great Em - I've been scrapbooking during the football games because I too get emotionally dragged into the games. Maybe it's a girl thing...

Bethany said...

I wish I had seen the game. My mom would usually mop the kitchen floor during BYU football games. Though I guess in your apartment the kitchen doesn't face the TV.. Oh well.

Kristen said...

Maybe you should take up knitting. You could finish an afghan by the time the season is over.

jennybhill said...

Or you could start a diaper service. Cloth diapers are really in these days. If you want, I could make the switch from Luvs and send you our diapers once a week. There would be a lot!

Aaron said some writers are already making bowl predictions. One article put BYU in the Rose Bowl (I think) -- that would be sweet if they made it to a BCS bowl!

Lincolnlogger said...

There's no way BYU could go to the Rose Bowl, they are contractually obligated to have Pac-10 vs. Big Ten, aren't they?

Heck, maybe if BYU played in the Big Ten they'd even be .500 or better this year! With creampuffs like Illinois and Michigan, anything is possible!

Mom said...

Em, you must have inherited Grandma Hughes' football superfan genes. She would be proud, er pleased. I can't remember if she took a basket of laundry to the stadium to fold it, however.