Monday, September 8, 2008

BYU Football = Heart Attack



So, for those of you who missed the BYU game on Saturday (shame!), BYU once again pulled off another crazy, block-the-shot move that won the game. Basically, Washington had scored a touchdown with about 4 seconds left in the game, but was (controversially) penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct, and had to move back for the "point after" kick that would effectively tie the game.

Partially because the aforementioned kick is harder from further back and partially because BYU is AMAZING, we blocked the shot and avoided going into overtime (BYU: 28, Washington: 27).





For a biased reporting on above paragraph, check out: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/cfootball/2061ap_fbc_t25_byu_washington.html






Anyway, this is not the point of the blog... the point is that BYU sports (especially football) is going to give me a heart attack one of these days. I am not kidding when I say that my heart stopped beating (well, okay, maybe I'm kidding) during the BYU/Utah game of 2006. And don't even get me started on the blocked kick against UCLA during last year's bowl game with no time left (we seem to have a knack for that).

For some reason, I become so emotionally involved in these games -- even when I watch them from the comfort of my living room -- that I literally can not think of anything else while I'm watching. BYU Players that do well (Pitta, Hall) are praised like gods and those unfortunate ones that do not are quickly subjugated to "boo"s and hisses from the Peterson apartment.

Honestly, I'm not a huge sports fan in general. I don't know what it is about BYU Football that makes me go crazy. Seriously, I'm not even a student there anymore. But just writing about this gets my heart pumping and gives me the urge to "poke" the opposing quarterback on Facebook.

Speaking of UCLA, we play them again next week, and I will hopefully be able to make it out of there alive...

8 comments:

jennybhill said...

I think Mom might attribute some of your passion for BYU football as being inherited from her mom. Face it, it's a genetic condition.

The UCLA game should be awesome -- it's even better that they are playing in Provo! They're going to keep their winning streak alive!!

p.s. What do you think of the name Max Hall Hill?

Bethany said...

Oh you're so cute when you get excited about BYU football. You remind me of my mom when we'd watch BYU games when I was growing up. She'd be jumping up and down like crazy and my dad wouldn't even be fazed. Funny.

I actually did miss this BYU game. I am ashamed.

Carma said...

Ok...so someone please clear up my confusion...I started reading this and thought Emily was writing, then the more I read I thought - this is Richard writing not Emily (it sounds more like Richard).

But now I read these comments and I think, maybe it was Emily??

Or maybe Emily and Richard have become "one" and are now indistinguishable!!

Emily said...

'Twas I, Emily

Lincolnlogger said...

What? BYU has a football team? How did I not know this? Next thing you'll be saying is that Nebraska has a football team too. Silly silly silly.

jennybhill said...

(Ouch, Greg.)
I just came back to say I finally saw the play with the disputed call. It was definitely within the rules to make the call. I didn't realize that BYU got called for unsportsmanlike conduct too, on the very next play! Crazy.

Kristen said...

People here in Washington weren't too thrilled about that call as you can imagine. I only got to watch snippets of the game in patients rooms as I was working. Sounds like it was a real nail-biter!

jennybhill said...

Just kidding about the phone message tonight! We listened to the whole game. Hope you had enough laundry to make it through.