Friday, March 13, 2009

Splurging

With some unexpected car issues in the past few months (partially paid for by Mama and Papa Peterson, thank you, thank you, thank you), we've had to cut a few corners in our budget.

Then, last weekend, we were walking to Harris Teeter and saw a Johnny Rockets (50's-style diner) on the way. We looked at each other and both said at the same time "let's eat there!!" This is only the third or fourth time in our marriage that we have eaten out (unless certain parental units were paying for it... thank you, thank you, thank you again!).

All through our $20-combined meal, we kept on saying to each other "I can't believe we're eating out!!" We were pretty giddy about it for the rest of the day, and actually for a few days after. It was quite the splurge for us.

This got me thinking about "splurging," and why people splurge. My guess is that people like the euphoria of temporarily living at a higher/more expensive level than they are used to. Makes sense -- that's how we felt. Then I thought, what if we did eat out a lot? Then what would we have to do to get that same feeling?

It's interesting the splurging doesn't feel like splurging if you are "living large" all the time. I guess an unexpected benefit of being poor is that moderate indulgances like eating at Johnny Rocket means a lot more!

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Very interesting post Emily! I hope that it is okay if I spoil you with good restaraunts when you come to Seattle in May

Unknown said...

Unfortunately Kody and I haven't been as diligent about not eating out as you :( but it definitely is still a treat! I'm impressed with you guys!

Bethany said...

Does Saturday at Five Guys count toward that total? I can't believe you guys have only eaten out a handful of times. Your self control amazes me. Splurging, for me, is a way of life... by no means a rare thing.

Britni said...

I think the reason splurging feels so good sometimes is because you're doing something you normally don't. It's like you aren't being held back or limited anymore.