Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Canada, eh?

This past weekend, we took a trip with my parents and our favorite Hobokenites to Canada, specifically Montreal and Quebec City.  We had a great time, both on land and in car. (We drove about 28 hours in 4 hours.)  Actually, I am using the pronoun "we" loosely, as I didn't drive at all. Our dear Richard drove most of the way with Carma pinch-hitting often. Since I am in the process of changing my driver's license, I couldn't (and certainly didn't want to) drive at all. Instead, I passed time reading the first book in the Twilight series.  And, of course, I am now addicted and anxiously awaiting Richard to bring the rest of the series back from Utah. But I digress.

On our way down, we had lunch at a cute little town in northern New York called... Thurman. Since this also happens to be the name of my nephew (what a coincidence!), we decided to stop and take some pictures. Actually, this wasn't a coincidence at all--Carma had seen someone write a NYT letter to the editor from Thurman, NY, and we all decided it was worth the half-hour detour that it took to get these lovely pictures. 













Friday night, we had a great dinner in Montreal with a family that Richard taught on his mission. The wife is a professional French-English translator, but her husband didn't speak much English (he is fluent in French and Spanish), so I spent most of the dinner trying to catch as much of the French  conversation as I could.  I could understand most of what Richard was saying, but less of what Nicole was saying and even less of what her husband was saying.  I was also quite distracted by their lovely cats, which didn't help comprehension matters much. 


Saturday, we spent an AWESOME day around Quebec City (which reminded Richard and me a lot of Edinburgh).   One of the highlights of the day was taking a tour of one of the hotels in the city, with a period-style tour guide. Carma and I commented several times what a quaint and European feel the city it had to it.  Who knew Europe was so close?



1 comment:

Bethany said...

you read twilight?? yay wow finally. i'm glad you had fun in canada. apparently richie finally came up with stuff for you guys to do.. :)