Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Summer Reading, Had Me A Blast

It's no surprise that both Richard and I love reading anything we can get our hands on. This summer, we had more time/willpower than usual (I attribute this mostly to our "No TV For You" month, see post below) to read some great books. Here are some highlights of our summer reading:






Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy* (second favorite of the summer)


Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert


The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins** (followed by Catching Fire, and Mockingjay to round out the series)



The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho


Great Expectations by Charles Dickens*



The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky**



These Is My Words by Nancy Turner** (Favorite of the summer)



The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum**


*Book selected for the R&E Peterson Book Club
**Book selected for book club with friends from church


And here are some of the books on our list for the upcoming months:
-The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery
-The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand**
-Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner**
-Lots and lots of comm articles/books
-Lots and lots of law review article submissions

5 comments:

Michelle said...

May I suggest "The Help" (Kathryn Stockett) and "Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet" (Jamie Ford) Two favorites I have read recently. Also "Elantris" (Brandon Sanderson)

jennybhill said...

I read "Crossing to Safety" a couple years ago and really enjoyed it - hope you do too. I'm going to try and track down, "These Is My Words."

jennybhill said...

p.s. Was "Great Expectations" as good as you hoped it would be?

:)

Mom said...

Wow, nice list of books. I like your no TV rule. Would like to read some of these, but it would probably be in Swedish. :) There are some good English books in the CYA library, though. You have inspired me to read more!

kevin711 said...

Wow, those are some long books!
Is the book club a couples book club, or just a women's book club?

Emily just finished reading the Help (today) and loved it. She also really liked "These is my Words." And now she feels inspired to try Ana Karenina sometime.