Thursday, March 18, 2010

Life Off Metro

Last summer, Rich and I took a field trip to Fairfax, VA to find bikes at garage sales. I found a great red bike that had been ridden with love for many years (so much that a pedal was missing). I quickly determined that it was a "bike with character" and purchased it posthaste.

Even though we got it at a good price, I was still concerned with our ROI (Return on Investment, for those in the non-corporate world). Assets v. liabilities, people!

I determined that my ROI on my bike had to be at least 2:1 to justify spending the money. The bike cost $10, and a replacement for the missing pedal cost $2. My roundtrip fare to and from work costs $5. So, for all you math majors out there, I will be riding my bike at least 5 times to make a decent profit on buying the bike (is that right, Michelle?).

Regardless, I rode my bike to work today. It was AMAZING. I watched 2 planes take off from National Airport at Gravelly Point, ate a quick bite by the Tidal Basin and got a great view of the Georgetown Cathedral while crossing Key Bridge. And, I only got lost twice!!! That's about 5 times less than I was expecting.

Other good things:

(a) I don't have to set aside any extra time to work out today - it takes me the same amount of time to ride my bike as to bus/metro in (about an hour).

(b) I'm in a really happy, endorphin-filled mood when I get to work.

The only thing about the bike is... well, it's not a road bike per se and the gears are stuck, so I have to ride the whole way with one gear. But, it's a bike with character, and I love it! Trying to think of a good name right now for her.

8 comments:

Chelsea said...

I love it! I wish I had the courage to bike to work too! I'm way scared I would get lost!

ANIB said...

Biking to work?! My coworker does that too- and I think you all are crazy and crazy smart. Maybe it is because I don't even know how to ride a bike that I think it is so crazy... either way, you are going to be in crazy good shape!

jennybhill said...

It sounsd like you have an ideal commute for biking! I bet your views of the city are great too. Bike name? Ruby.

Emily said...

Nice, Jenny! Consider her named :)

Bethany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bethany said...

Ahh!! I want to bike to work!!!! That is awesome! I'm so glad you made sure to get a bike with character. How white person of you! :)

Katie said...

Love the name Ruby! I'm impressed Em!! But aren't you sweaty, gross, tired, feel really gross/want to shower again, when you get to work? I don't think I could do it! But love that you do!!

Mom said...

Yay, Emily. Sounds like a win-win, but please watch out for cars!