Sunday, December 20, 2009

Snowicane 2009

The Snowicane landed in DC Friday night. (Also called the Snowpocalypse.) Emily was already snug in a hotel room at the Hotel George near Capitol Hill. I was less snug finishing my last final for my third semester of law school. Once I finished my exam I headed home packed up for our second annual stay-cation in the city. After a few minutes of frantic packing so that I could get me and Octavia (our scooter) to the metro station before the snowicane got going in full force.

I made it safely to Emily and the Hotel George after a stinging ride on the scooter. The rest of the evening was spent watching weather forecasts exclaiming, "Worst storm of the century!" "Lock up your windows and doors, we're in for the long haul!" "One million inches for sure!" Looking out the window of our hotel room confirmed, in part, the forecasts.

We woke up in the morning to several inches, but we had great plans for our stay-cation, so we bundled up and forged into the winter wonderland.

The metro escalators were dusted with a healthy layer of snowdrift.



To our dismay, the Smithsonians were all closed. But that didn't keep us from touring the city. Here's a couple of pictures of us in front of the Smithsonian castle.



We trekked past the Smithsonians and on to the Washington Monument. (Can you see it to the left on the first picture?)



And finally, we made some snow angels.




























So, now we are still at the Hotel George waiting for the Metro to offer above ground service, or for the buses to start up service again. Otherwise, we will be staying in the city for always and forever.

6 comments:

ANIB said...

I love the snow!! I am waiting on Jacob right now and then we will come and pick you up at the Metro!

Britni said...

How fun! Are you guys in town for the entire break? I'm thinking we need to have a big New Years Eve party with those of us that are here.

Carma said...

Sorry your 'staycation' didn't work out as planned!! But looks like you made the most of it. You can go to the Smithsonians with us in February if you want. :-)

Nico was slightly disappointed that there was not a parallel video of Uncle Richie making a snow angel...

Chelsea said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe that you guys were going around town! That's awesome. I've been inside for three days straight haha.

jennybhill said...

I love your snow angel video. Was there anyone else walking around when you were??

Unknown said...

Nate had to watch the angel making 5 times he laughed every time!